Love

Love

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sharing

Yesterday, at 1:30 in the afternoon, I made myself lunch. So hungry. The kids were happily playing in the other room. This was my chance to enjoy my Salad that I had prepared. It must have smelled good... can salads put off an aroma? Grace comes into the room, "mmm salad! Can I have a bite?" Sure, dear. Some days it can be difficult to have the kids eat their veggies, so I don't mind sharing mine with them. Really, it's been years since I've eaten food I've prepared for myself by myself! Funny how that happens!
She kept returning for one more bite and one more bite... then her brother caught on. I just kept smiling, waiting for my turn to have a bite of the avocados that were disappearing before my very eyes (avocados are one of my favorite parts of my salad.). After about 10 minutes and half my food in the tummies of my children, I say, "can I have a bite now?" Grace pats my back and says, "Here you go, you can enjoy your food now mom, it's your turn." Then she runs off.
Thank you Darling! That is so thoughtful of you!



Bella is at this new stage now where she does not want to be fed a thing but she wants to eat everything. You sit her in her high chair and she turns her head with every spoon full. She swats your hand away at every attempt. then twists and turns her little body to make it out of the high chair... if only she could have those go-go gadget arms so she could reach the food that everyone else is eating at the table!!! So I've started to give her all the food we're eating in small bites. She is one happy camper and it's so fun to see her demolish her food, although it's not so fun to clean up but that's ok.



I was thinking about this this morning mainly because I had made eggs for myself. Bella played happily around the room crawling from one toy to the next, grunting and cooing (grunting is what she does best). I sat down with my eggs. She high-tales it over to me and pulls herself up at my chair pulling at my pants and moaning (seriously moaning) over and over. I'm taking it as "please, oh please, hoooooooold me!!!" So I pick her up. Let me tell you something about Bella, she has incredible strength and speed and I really think she'd do well in the 2012 Olympics but I don't think she'll get any endorsements at her age. This child pushed my hands away and immediately grabs for my plate nearly pushing all the eggs to the floor. I realize that she didn't just want picked up, she wanted my food and all of it for herself!! Thankfully, I'm quick as well, and I have made it into an art form to catch a plate full of food with out so much as a crumb falling to the floor. :) I put my plate near the center of the table out of reach and I tried to take quick bites before she grabs the fork out of my hand.
I forgot my toast. I go butter it up and sit back at the table to take a bite. Still holding Bella, she screams and squeals and fusses while trying to take my toast away from me. I decided instead of trying to eat quickly, I would let Bella have my toast and I'd eat in peace....

So this is when I decided I had write because I did not want to forget what she looked like at this moment as I sat and ate my eggs with my darling in my lap. She was lounging... Legs stretched, body reclined back in my arms, content as could be, eating away at her toast. I loved her little ritual of biting the toast and smacking her lips together a few times. Eyes gazed upon the bread. Her little hands twisting it about before each bite.
I swear, I love watching babies. They are amazing.

No comments: