| Ready and waiting for baby #6. Will baby be a boy or a girl? |
| Evelyn playing with crafts |
| Hoping this is my last pregnancy picture! |
| Still waiting |
| What a beautiful little lady. I can't get over my girly little Evi. |
| She loves working on puzzles. It is a delight to complete a puzzle with Evelyn. |
| She is so proud of herself! |
| Watching them build the deck. |
| It is Evelyn's turn to top the tree this year. |
| Feast of the Immaculate Conception. Feeling so big and ready! |
The Giant tree at UNMC. Went in for *one* last appointment before baby!
| looking at a doll house. Seemed like such a sweet moment. |
Doctors Evelyn and Bella, listening to baby's heart beat and measuring my belly.
| Beautiful Roses from my honey for the Feast of our Lady of Guadeloupe. |
| Making Cookies with my wonderful children, (Thomas in school) while in labor! I think this years cookie making will go down in history. :) |
Through the night of the early morning hours on December 13th, once again I felt the pains of contractions keeping me awake, trying as I might to rest. At 9am, Rob wrote and asked how I was feeling. I no longer was having contractions and told him it probably wouldn't be today...again.
The kids and I had planned to make our Christmas cookies after lunch. Around that time, I had starting feeling some contractions again but in my labor style, I was ignoring them. We had made our dough and I realized that these contractions weren't kidding around any longer. I wrote Rob and even though I felt it was still early in the game, I dutifully wrote my doctor to let her know I thought I might be in labor and said, "I'm sure it's still early in the game but just wanted you to know I'm having contractions." I also wrote my mom, who was coming up to stay with the kids. She assured me that if I wrote her, she would not tell me to go to the hospital.... but she did. "you should get in there right now so they can monitor the baby!" I shouldn't put that in quotes because I don't remember exactly what she said. Haha, I just remember that she did not refrain from telling me what I needed to do! But that is ok, as my Mother she has a right to do what she feels is best. :) That was around 1230.
While cookie cutting and making a grand old sprinkle, frosting and flour mess, I told the kids that I was in labor so if they're talking to me and I do not respond or if I leave the room it's because I'm having a contraction and I need to focus and let it pass. It was so lovely. Every time I'd have a contraction, they'd all become so quiet. I could tell they had excitement within and were really hoping this was going to be the day! I really just wanted to be a good example to them! I wanted them to see good and beautiful laboring, not something to be feared or something dramatic.
I wrote rob about 2:00 and said he should probably get home so we could get to the hospital. We left for the hospital at 2:35. I remember having a contraction just before getting in the car, on all fours in the driveway and a car passing by. Then having another just as we arrived in the hospital parking lot. Our drive is only a few minutes, thank goodness! Contractions in a car are not fun! My lovely Doctor met us in the parking lot. We took the stairs up to L&D. Anything to help progression of labor!
Kolbe Martin Black was born at 4:40 PM weighing 8 lbs 6 oz. 20 1/2 in. long. I wish I could describe the labor and delivery how I felt it in the depths of my heart but I don't think I can. It was full of grace, God's grace. I had no energy, I felt weak and tired. Everything felt more difficult than usual. Every moment was an act of surrender, physically, emotionally and spiritually. I knew Christ was with me and I was grateful. Rob played a song for me over and over, at my request, by Lauren Daigle titled, You Alone. We now call it "Kolbe's Song." It's still my favorite. "You are the strength, when I am weak." "The cross reminds my heart to trust your faithfulness and love will always be enough." "I will not fear, for God you are with me." "When my heart and strength have failed me, my God you won't." I mean seriously, who doesn't need these inspirational reminders when going through natural labor after a pregnancy of on and off anxiety?! God is so good, every prayer I brought to him, he heard. It was not easy, it was hard. I remember saying between contractions, "this baby is so BIG!" "Get this baby out of me!!" I knew I was being ridiculous but it's how I felt! I was thankful for the little chuckle from my doctor and Rob, I think, and for their reassurance!
Oh my goodness though, it was all full of love and grace and so much beauty! When the baby finally broke through and was in my arms, a wave of relief and absolute humility washed over me. I didn't feel the usual exhilaration of "I did it! Amazing!" It was absolutely, "Thank you, God, YOU did this. I know I could not have done this on my own. Praise you Jesus." I'm still humbled and grateful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvMkOJyUdOY
I love when Rob whispers in my ear revealing the gender of the baby! "It's a boy!" Always the sweetest, most loving moment. My last 3 deliveries have been basically on my hands and knees. I don't see the baby right away, but Rob does. What a gift. I should mention, I could not do it with out him either.
Despite my unusual feelings of fear and weakness throughout this labor. It was a classic labor and delivery for us. Labor at home, go into hospital, a couple hours and baby arrives. All glory to God! We are really blessed!
Our children follow a pattern of girl, boy, girl, boy, girl, so it was common sense to everyone that the next baby really needed to be a boy to keep up the pattern. When Rob and I called home from the hospital, Bella picked up first and then put it on speaker phone for everyone to hear. The excited anticipation in her voice still tickles my ears. It was joy. After the announcement was made, "we had a boy!" There was a resounding cheer from every single child. Praise be to God.
When Kolbe was born, he had a knot in his umbilical cord. My wonderful OB said it was just loose enough that it didn't cut off any blood flow to the baby. Prior to birth I had prayed the novena to Our Lady Undoer (Untier) of Knots and had just finished it. I give her credit for the protection of our sweet Kolbe. Thank you Mother of Jesus and Mother of us for keeping the knot with in Kolbe's cord loose and thank you for loosening the knots with in my heart and the hearts of my family, our marriage and in our lives. I thank you for your love and daily protection of us. Mary, Undoer of Knots, pray for us.
| Kolbe is ready for anything life has to through at him. Don't mess with Kolbe Martin. (after St. Maximilian Kolbe and St. Martin of Tours) |
| This handsome, hungry husband is a pro with baby number 6. |
How do you find the words to describe what the heart feels when your kids come and see their new sibling for the first time? I don't think it's possible.
| She's a good one... one of the best. :) |
Day #2....
My 30 week ultra sound was live and in 3D. It was amazing. I think I have a previous post with pictures. Anyway, this smile here almost looked identical to the one I saw on the screen when Kolbe was still in-utero. Unbelievable. He's been smiling since even before he entered the world.
Home sweet home. Slept around 6-7 hours the first night. Felt so good.
Welcome to the family Kolbe Martin Black. You are loved.
No comments:
Post a Comment