Love

Love

Thursday, October 11, 2012

A "special" post

Yesterday a lady at the base clinic referred to Thomas as "mentally retarded."   I was proud of myself as I didn't have a strong reaction to this at the time because as I told myself then, she doesn't mean anything disrespectful or mean by it.  In fact, part of what she was trying to say was how mentally retarded kids are the sweetest and most loving kids.  So with all my might I was trying to focus on what she was trying to say to me and not the words she was using as she categorized Thomas.  I don't know if I would say it bothered me then or that it does now, but it has certainly made me think.  Especially as I interact with him.  While feeding his his bottle this morning, thoughts flooded my mind as I watched him hold his bottle himself and "talk" to me.

I could tell you a million things about Thomas and why I wouldn't categorize him as "mentally retarded."  But I'm not going to.  I will, however, tell you a few of the many things that I've learned about myself these last 23 months.

I've realized that when I see someone with special needs I'm not as taken back as I once was in a life that seems like a lifetime ago.  I've realized that when anyone that I come in contact with that may be different in one way or another that I do not know who they really are.  I only see what is on the outside.  I realized that This person is incredibly loved by someone who has completely laid down there life for them.  And that the mother, father, sibling, caregiver or whoever doesn't even see the special needs of that child but just sees them, the person, the beautiful life, and if Christian, they see Christ. 

How have I changed?  I did not expect this but when I see anyone with special needs, mild or severe, I don't feel taken back, I feel love, I feel honored to be in their presence.  (and more importantly, I've desired to try and see that in every human being.  We are all SPECIAL.)  I look at them and know that I do not know who they really are because I only see what's on the outside but I know that they are loved and someone so special and have changed a family's life for the better.  And that is something that is truly a gift.   I know that this person, as we all do, has their own amazing story!  One that is completely unique. 

Maybe that's why I didn't get upset yesterday.  I knew this lady just didn't know Thomas.  She didn't know all that he's accomplished in the last 23 months.  He is a survivor.  He is a fighter.  He has grown.  He has accomplished BIG things.  He has taught us a new way of loving.  Deeply loving.  And it's ok that she didn't realize all the thoughts she brought to my mind and feelings she's brought to my heart.  If I didn't know Thomas.  I wouldn't have realized any of that either.    I'm thankful for each one of my children and what they have taught me.  I am thankful for the things they've taught each other.   I'm thankful to have my moment this morning watching Thomas and seeing him for who he really is and not the ways where he may (or may not) be lacking at this moment.  His story is still being written and I know it is full of faith, hope and the greatest of all, love. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristi,

What a beautiful heart you have.
What a beautiful life Thomas is.
God bless you!

Kristin (Niewald) Manuylo

Julie said...

He is a sweet little guy.

Meg J said...

Kristi - your writing is so beautiful. Thomas is privileged to have you as a mom. Honestly - you should think about writing a book (you know - in your free time!) - you have such a way of expressing yourself, I think you would touch a lot of peoples' hearts.
God bless.
Meg

Black Family said...

Thank you Meg and Julie and Kristin. I love hearing from you! God Bless and I hope all is well,
Kristi

Lindsay Boever said...

Hi Kristi,
Thanks for the shout out today. You are so sweet to me. I just read this post about Thomas and I couldn't help but giggle. I often say to John "Who sets the standard?" "Who determines life and its capabilities?" It's so funny to me most days. To me and many, Thomas is beautifully and wonderfully made the same as Grace, Anthony, and Bella. Our loving Father gave him life, you and Robbie said YES, and then God-willing Thomas will probably zip by stupid me on the way to heaven so it really does seem so funny most days to me. Not just Thomas, but any life for that matter. We were made for heaven, not for here. Thomas has the most essential ingredient, a soul. Therefore, he is beautifully and wonderfully made. I often question if many of our government "smarties" have a soul, if you know what I mean? Wow. Sorry for that long post. I just love him.