Our little Thomas' Echo looked pretty good. They did, however find that the
Foramen ovale and the Ductus arteriosus did not close after Thomas was born.
Short Description:
The foramen ovale is a hole that exists between the left and right atria. The ductus arteriosus is a blood vessel that connects the aorta to the pulmonary artery.* Before the baby is born, he doesn't need to use his lungs to the ductus arteriousus alows the oxiginated blood to by-pass the lungs and go into the aorta. Usually after the baby is born, these holes close with in hours after birth since the baby is now using his lungs.
*Link:
http://video.about.com/pregnancy/Prenatal-Circulation.htm
Anyway, Thomas' didn't close. Our pediatrician said the holes were small and the blood was flowing the correct way but that we'll be seeing the cardiologist and probably doing another echo again in a few months to see if it has closed yet.
Now we are just waiting for the Cardiologist to call us and set up an appt. We'll either have to go to Fort Worth or Denton, TX for that appointment. Both are at least an 1 1/2 away, it's worth the trip though.
The OT is coming on Monday to meet us and determine what Thomas' plan of care will be for his hands and oral motor skills. I'm looking forward to that meeting.
Since he has had his tongue clipped he does seem to be sucking better on his bottle or at least for longer periods. Also, he'll keep the pacifier in longer too before spitting it out.
He is growing (so is his hair, I think an inch and a half now:) and is very strong! He practice's daily lifting his head up when he's on his tummy and he turns himself in circles when doing tummy time. It's fun to watch him move. He also has turned himself over on multiple occasions. From his tummy to his back and vice-versa. He's awake more, cooing and has smiled at the kids a few times, which has been fun. :) It's good to see these changes in him.
While I was pregnant. I wondered more about Downs Syndrome and if this baby would have it. When Thomas was born and since I've stared at him intently for any signs that would indicate it. Since Thomas has been seen by 3 pediatricians and a hand specialist and no one has said anything at all about him being a Downs baby, I've tried to put the thought behind me. At his Echo Cardiogram, the Ultrasound Tech said, "He's a Downs baby, right?" I said, "well, no one's said that about him yet!" She said, she didn't know why she thought he was. I figure it was because she sees a lot of Down Syndrome kids due to the fact that they have heart problems, so maybe she just thought he was even before we came in for the appt.
I did mention it to my doctor when she called. She said that his echo results didn't show the lesions on his heart that a Downs baby would have but that she'll take a closer look at him at his next appointment (next week). We'll be watching his development as well.
As I was looking at him today, I realized to myself that there was no need to worry even the slightest, because even if he does have Downs Syndrome, it doesn't matter. It changes nothing. He's our precious Thomas, loved by all in our family and captures the hearts of those he meets.
Thank you Lord for this precious life you have entrusted to our care.
3 comments:
Kristi, you and little Thomas are in my prayers! I love you!
Mary
I have been thinking about him since Tuesday night when you told me about his heart. I'm glad you have some answers now. He is so precious and sweet. All will be well. Hugs and prayers are being sent your way!
What an adorable little baby boy! I've been checking your blog a lot and I finally remembered I can leave a comment:)
It's so good to hear that Thomas is doing better and rolling and lifting his head... and that he's awake more. He is very lucky to have such an awesome family and bc of that no matter what he's going to be just fine!:) Love you guys, you're in our prayers!!
Amber Anderson
Post a Comment