Love

Love

Saturday, December 11, 2010

The Black's "Black Friday Special"

Thomas Harrison black was born on "Black Friday", 11-26-2010 at 0748.
He was 7# 12 oz. 19.5 inches long. Siblings to love him are Grace, Anthony, and Bella. They do love him so very much. He has a proud Mom and a very Proud Dad.

My favorite version of Thomas' labor and delivery is the one Grace told to the women at Anthony's Gymnastics and to our friends at church on Sunday. "My Mom went into the hospital and out popped the baby, just like that!" She was so excited to tell everyone of her new baby brother. The funny thing is that her version of him coming into the world isn't that far off. I labored at home for 3 1/2 hours before going into the hospital. We got there a little after 7:30 in the morning and Thomas was born at 7:48 AM. I don't know who the nurse was that delivered Thomas but she did a good job since we didn't give her much time to think. She would say not to push and kept asking me to turn around but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do and I wasn't moving from my comfortable position and the baby, our sweet Thomas, wasn't waiting!

As we were getting ready to leave our house, the kids were coming down the stairs in their "pajamies" (as Anthony calls his pj's), all excited because they new we were going to the hospital. Grace informed me that her teeth didn't hurt anymore. I was very happy for her and laughed to myself since I was going through a contraction thinking, "at least her teeth feel better." Anthony rushed up to me and with urgency in his voice said, "you feel it's a boy, right mom?" What do you say but "we'll find out soon!"

As I look back on this Labor and delivery, I'm extremely thankful. I love laboring at home. I didn't know what it would be like waking up in the middle of the night with contractions because all the others started in the later morning. For this time, it was great because I could labor at home and not have the kids distracting me. I could focus in the quiet of the night. The contractions started at 0345. I stayed in bed for an hour and then realized I needed to get up and move around if I wanted the contractions to be manageable. It was a great opportunity to clean my kitchen and pick up the house before our friends came over to watch the kids! :)

I absolutely loved waking up Robbie to tell him I was in labor. As he opened his eyes to look at me, I didn't say anything. I was just smiling. He smiled at me and then said, "you're in labor aren't you." I loved seeing his smile and his face, I loved the excitement of the moment. I loved him being there with me. I think with every contraction and in between, I thought to myself how I loved that he was here. I loved being in the moment. I loved that we could bring our child into the world together. I love hearing his voice. I love his support and encouragement. I love how he knows me and believes in me. Life and bringing life into the world is just better with my husband beside me.

The difficult part, for me, came after the delivery. I didn't get the antibiotics (for the Group B) that the doctor wanted me to get during labor so the nurses whisked Thomas away quickly. They did all the checks and wanted to take him to the nursery so the peds Dr could check on him. I got to hold him for a minute before they took him. I thought they'd bring him back soon but it wasn't until almost 3 hours later that I got to hold him and nurse him. I was so thankful when they brought him back. He latched on perfectly and was just so handsome with his dark, full head of hair and his little, dimple chin.

For precaution, they gave Thomas antibiotics but after his blood cultures came back normal they didn't have to finish the last doses. In the pictures from the hospital you can see the little hep-lock taped to his head.

It has now been a little over two weeks. He just lost his little umbilical cord today. The kids were very excited to finally see his belly button. Grace has been mommy's little helper since daddy went back to work. Robbie had 2 weeks paternity leave, which was AMAZING. The kids loved all the time they got to spend with daddy and Bella got even more attached to having him home. I loved watching them all together and seeing all the love that the kids have for Dad and Dad has for the kids. We're so blessed. It's a fact, Robbie is the best Dad in the whole world.

Gracie loves holding Thomas and has gotten to feed him once. She did a great job and loved every moment of it. She gazes at him daily and talks about every little detail of his body, what it looks like and why she loves it. Mostly, she loves how little and cute he is, his fingers and toes are, his little nose and dimple chin. Her list is quite extensive. :) She enjoys giving Thomas his baths and picking out his clothes. She also loves kissing his forehead.

Anthony loves when Thomas' eyes are open and is sure that Thomas opens his eyes just so he can look at Anthony. A few days after we got home from the hospital we were changing Thomas' diaper. Anthony was right there with me (along with Bella and Grace too.) Thomas started pottying and some got on Anthony's pants. Anthony was beside himself. "why would he do that mom? Why would Thomas potty on me?" He kept asking Robbie and I over and over. The next few days after, Anthony kept reminding me that we need to teach Thomas to use the potty chair.

Bella has adjusted well to not being the youngest. I think she likes being one of the big kids now. She frequently goes up to Thomas and gives him a kiss and we often hear her saying, "Hi baby" and waving to him. It's very sweet. She does have a new word she's been trying out over a hundred times a day, "mine!!!" That's not as sweet as "hi baby" but for the time being, it has been amusing.

It has been an incredible joy to see all of them together and to see how much the kids love having Thomas around.

Thomas is doing well. He is the most content, layed-back, and sleepy baby we've ever had. So much so, I have felt worried. Then again, a mom of a tiny baby has much she could worry about right?! When he is awake, he's content and alert. I love watching him move his little arms and legs around. He's very strong too. He rolls himself to his side constantly and on his two week birthday he actually rolled himself, on accident I'm sure, from his back to his stomach. No joke!

Our biggest concern right now is that he's not gaining weight like he should be. At his two week appointment he was down 1/2 pound still from his birth weight. We went in again today, 3 days later and he only gained an ounce. we're going to check again on Wednesday. I literally have to wake him for every feeding. There's only been about 3 or 4 times that he's woken up on his own to eat. This makes night feeding difficult for me. The alarm isn't as efficient in waking up mommy as a baby's cry. Especially when this momma is over-tired.

We also have an appointment tomorrow in Dallas to see a hand specialist. Some of his fingers on both his hands have shortened tendons. He can't fully extend his middle and ring fingers. the pointer finger is also a little affected as well but can extend a little more than the others. We're looking forward to this appointment to see what the doctor says. Two doctors we've seen so far say that they can be easily fixed and that there's a good chance that his little fingers will be fine as he gets older. I let you know what the doctor says after tomorrow.

If you can please pray for Thomas to start gaining weight appropriately and that nothing is wrong and for his little hands too. I'm trying to not worry and to trust he'll be OK. I know the Lord and Thomas' Guardian Angel are watching over him.

That's the news for now. I've got some pictures to share below... I hope all is going well with everyone and that you're having a blessed Advent season! O Come, O Come, Emmanuel!!

*********************************************************************

Here's what we do in Texas for fun. Dad gets to take Anthony to ride in a Monster Truck over old smashed cars. AWESOME!

Anthony and the "Monster Truck"

Christmas Cookies. *Look at all those stockings!!*





I love this little face. The kids love to take pictures of Thomas. This one is catching him in a yawn. He hardly ever cries and when he does, it's a cute little squeak.




All 4 of our children! Our little loves!
Bella loving Thomas


Anthony loving Thomas

Gracie loving Thomas and feeding him too :)

Proud big sister

Wake time, looking at his black and white (with a little splash of red:) pictures





He's a proud big brother


and happy too.

3 comments:

salty c-snake said...

i love that i checked and saw this post. it made my day!! waht a beautiful baby. i love that you've recorded and shared his birth story. and just love that you love your family so much and appreciate what you have. its a great example. we will keep thomas in our prayers!! and you and your family.

Smiler #1 said...

That's the best Black Friday deal I've heard of yet! ;) Congratulations! What a handsome little guy. His hair is AWESOME. Give him an extra snuggle from me. :) Praying for a healthy & happy family, sleepy & peaceful baby, & smooth transition. God bless your beautiful family!

Melissa said...

What a wonderful post. We're so happy for you and little Thomas. He is a lucky little boy. Thanks for allowing a glimpse into his birth and life as you now know it. We love you all so much and will definitely keep you all in our prayers. Much love and congratulations! XOXO