Love

Love

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

case of the mondays

This past Monday I woke up early to say a Rosary with Robbie. It was the beginning of the week and after working all weekend (and late nights the week before) to prepare for his upcoming court, we knew we needed some extra graces for this week. It was Monday, the trial starts on Wednesday, so we're hoping it will be over on Friday. 5 more days, we can do it! Today is going to be a good day. That's what I thought as he left work.

730 am Grace woke up and came out of her room, just as she usually does. She had her blanket with her. I sat on the ground and gave her a big good morning hug. Cheerfully said, "good morning Grace!" I held her in my arms, soaking up my sweet little girl. I heard Anthony in his crib jumping up and down as he usually does after Grace walks out of their room, waiting patiently for us to come back in and get him out for hugs, kisses and breakfast.

We had an agenda for the day. As always I explained to Grace what would be going on for the morning.
1) Wal-mart (we had to pick up a few things---laundry detergent for our pile of dirty laundry.)
2)Library playgroup
3)blockbuster
3)Lunch
4)clean-up/play
5)quiet time

Through breakfast, the whining had already begun...
"Gracie lets get our clothes on so we can go bye-bye."
This day, Grace had a particularly hard time finding something to wear. The tears were enormous. "but I want my fishy shirt and flower biker shorts." she cried.
Those clothes were in the middle of stinky laundry after having already been worn 2 days in a row and covered in 3-year-old messes! She couldn't understand why she couldn't wear them and also why I haven't washed them yet? I tried to explain that that's why we're going to the store! We need soap! After many suggestions of clothes, all denied, she decided she wanted her 'blue shirt and blue shorts' those also were w/ the fishy shirt and flower shorts.
Everyday Grace asks to were her brothers clothes b/c she doesn't like her clothes, today was the day, OK, she can just wear something of Anthony's. So, I suggested that. Again my request was denied by screaming, crying and falling to the floor.

By this time, not even 9 am yet, I felt my patience wearing thin!
"OK Grace" I said "all you need to do is find a shirt and shorts. It doesn't matter which ones, I don't care if they match. It's time to go, you need to get dressed."

Some days, there is just no reasoning, no listening, no comprehension of anything that comes out of a mother's mouth. I remember my mom having to say "no" to me a billion times. Eventually following with: What part of NO don't you understand?!!! N-O!!

Grace obviously wasn't hearing a word I was saying. She just continued to cry. I tried everything from just holding her for a little bit. Perhaps she missed daddy and needed a hug. I tried using a more stern voice, something to just snap her out of it. I tried just leaving her in her room to calm down a bit. Nothing was working. So, now it was time for me to just get her dressed myself.

side note: At one point as I was trying to get myself ready and I hear "Anthony NOOOOOOO" I run in their room thinking what could be wrong??? He's in his crib what could he possibly be doing??
Grace had gotten a pop out of the fridge (with out my permission) and set it on the night stand. Anthony reached and got it! Lucky him! He was sure happy! I'm assuming trying to take a drink he poured the whole pop over him, the outfit I had just dressed him in and the sheets I had just put on his mattress! Calmly I tried to explain that if you don't want Anthony to get something you need to put it in a place where he can't get it. Secondly you may not get a pop out of the fridge w/o asking me first!

Now finally in the car, I thought, "she'll calm down in a minute." Not so much... "I don't like these shorts," she yelled. "I don't like my adorable shirt," she cried. At this point Anthony was starting to get upset by the loudness.
Now 930am, the time at which playgroup starts, I decided to just get out of the car, put Anthony down for a morning nap and have grace lie down too. Enough was enough.

So we went in for an hour and a half down time. So much for a quick trip to wal-mart, for a playgroup where we actually get to see kids and other adults, so much for getting a fun veggie tales movie for a surprise.... oh well, a little rest will do us all some good.

After eating lunch and picking up a bit, we ventured out to wal-mart. Anthony is most of the time very good in the shopping carts!!! Not this day! He was squealing and squirming and sticking out his pouty lip. Grace was wanting this and that and the other thing. Wal-mart was doing some renovation and had moved everything around. I had no idea where in the world I was going!! So much for a quick trip!

I thought to myself. OK, we all really need to relax and have some fun! It's been a long week and a half with just the 3 of us. We need to get out a little bit!

I had heard of this splash park that was on the other side of Tucson. We had never been. I let Grace were her swimsuit with shorts to the store (since she didn't have a thing to wear :)
I decided when we got in the car that I'd surprise Grace and we'd all go to the splash park! It was the best 20 minute ride of the day! She was so excited. The kids where laughing and playing in their seats! I was just thankful to have found something for us to enjoy together!
We get to the park, get all our things together, get out of the car only to walk the ways to the splash park and find a sign that says CLOSED FOR RENOVATION. Sigh.
I tried my best to explain but the tears started flowing and those little ears just closed right back up. There was nothing I could say or do. (why would you close a park when the weather is still over 100*?!! Why not wait till winter and do renovations then?! just my thoughts as we're driving home and my van is being flooded w/ tears now from both kids)

Now for another idea. Popsicles!!! What kid wouldn't want Popsicles!? that helped a little to mend the pain. We went to the store specifically for the Popsicles, stood in line to pay for them, got back in the car, drove home, got out of the car again.... Popsicles... oh no, sugar free, sweetened w/ splenda. Not particularly what I wanted to give my kids or myself for that matter. :) But we were not getting back in that car! Unknown to Grace, she ate that sugar-free Popsicle and enjoyed it! Anthony was so happy to be out of the car seat and running circles in the driveway.

Now it was around 4. I would still really like to go to blockbuster to get myself something for these nights that Robbie won't be home till midnight or later. I also hadn't exercised in over a week so why not walk to blockbuster? It's just around the corner.
Always loving a great stroller ride, I knew the kids would be happy! This Monday was just not our day. We did make it to blockbuster OK, but after that it was crying and fighting about where the stroller shade should be placed. Anthony wanted it down so he could look over top of it and Grace wanted it up so the sun wouldn't be in her eyes. Sigh again. We made it home.

Time for supper. Dad came home to grab a quick bite, change and get back into work. I couldn't move from my spot on the carpet but to give him a hug and kiss. The kids excitedly followed him everywhere he went. Ahh, a little break from, "mom, look at me! mom, watch this! mom, Anthony getting the toothpaste again! mom, Anthony's getting the water cooler again! mom, Anthony's drinking my water! mom Anthony is on the table! and little screams from Anthony when Grace takes something he has."

Robbie goes back to work. Poor guy, I know he wants to be home, to play with the kids, to see me!! I'm very proud of him, I know he's working hard too. We're in this together, so back to work I go too...

Bath time I announce! Dad has now left the house, kids are in good moods, and it's almost bedtime! What can go wrong now?

Well, at wal-mart I bought Grace new Night time diapers. She takes a while to pick the perfect one out. No problem though, I understand how one wants to feel good in what she's wearing to bed... ;)

She finally makes it out into the living room. I, regretfully, say, "ooo, I like the night-night diaper you picked out." Grace looks down at her diaper and says, 'oh, I don't want this one.'
I quickly said that she could not change it (she had already put aquaphor on) and that I didn't want to waste the diaper. She stopped and looked at me and then proceeded to run to her room! Well, that was the beginning of "cryfest ect."

We had planned to play a game before book time. Since the episode had taken place yet again, I decided there would be no game played tonight. I had to explain this to her. After calming down and reading our books. We had a little talk about tomorrow and what kind of day we wanted it to be. Hopefully after getting a good night sleep and thinking about our actions from today, maybe we could make tomorrow a better more happier day.

I also went to bed hoping to wake up a happier mommy. I didn't feel like saying evening prayer but decided it's probably what I need most. Funny thing....
Evening prayer was all about the blessings that God has given us, his peace and his joy. If I had the Magnificat, I write more about it but that's all I can remember from 2 days ago! :)
I also read some story's from my book Amazing Grace for Mothers. The stories reflected our children as blessings. The bad days, the good days, the beauty and gift of motherhood! Talk about medicine for the heart, soul and mind!

The next morning and all through out the day, it was a 360*/100% change! Ahhhh, it was a wonderful day! I like to think it was my little talk that I gave to Grace the night before that helped her to not whine all day, amongst other things. But the more I think about it, the difference in her attitude really could have been the few new shirts and two new shorts that I had bought her after realizing, while trying to find something for her to wear on that dreadful Monday morning, that she really could use some new clothes and these were cheap.


I know this is long but I just had to write! I can now laugh about the day and just wanted to share it w/ my family and friends! I know we all have our "Mondays" and so I'm sure many will be able to relate to this story. :) I'm sure my mom could tell you a few stories about me. :)

God Bless your all your days, the good, the bad and all in between!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristi,
I had to laugh as your day kept going on. It is consoling to know that "mondays" happen to everyone. I'm not the only one who wants to disown everything in my life sometimes. Glad the next day was better and I hope Rob's trial will be over tomorrow - we'll pray.
Miss you guys.
Meg

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristi!
I decided to buckle down and read this (not scrolling to see how long it was). My two couldn't even get my attention while I was reading about your bad day. Your day just kept on going wrong! Sorry it was miserable, but thanks for making me laugh.
Gotta go do some parenting,
Julie J.